Gorge Waterfalls 100k 2017

Finished Gorge Waterfalls 100k today in 11 hours and 45 minutes. The start was fast, but Walmsley was literally so fast he was out of sight in the first quarter mile. Fun fact,  Walmsley and I stood in line together for the bathroom and I'm happy to report he shits like the rest of us.  It was very challenging this year with tons of mud, rain, hail, wind, snow crossings, downed trees, rivers, streams, and beautiful waterfalls.  I tried to learn from last year's disaster of a race and made some changes.  First, I ran through all water crossings hard. Last year I spent to much time and energy trying to balance on slippery rocks.  This helped clean my muddy feet and fuck it, it's the Gorge, you're going to get wet.  Second, I wore road shoes.  The muddy sections sucked, but everywhere else I was happy with my shoe choice.  Third, I decided to go just handheld.  I've been on a handheld kick lately and liked my decision. One problem, I got to the start line and realized I left my handheld in the hotel. FML. Thankfully Natalie Nolasco came through big time with a spare handheld.  She saved my race.  And yes, I ran naked.  It was awesome except for the 2 very intense hail storm.  I did multiple dropbags with my coconut water/carbopro combo, chia seeds, and red bull.  I actually stepped outside the norm and ate everything in sight at the aid stations.  My favorite combo being chocolate chip cookies, pickles, and watermelon. I managed to improve my time by 3 hours 12 minutes from last year.  Cutting the negativity and unhappiness out of my life this year has made me a better runner.  It was great to see so many friends up there and meet so many talented runners.

Smile or you're doing it wrong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cocodona 250 race report

Redlands Fresh Air Challenge

Best of San Diego 100 miler 2021